Kapitel 3: Individuelles Kennenlernen, Verhalten und Intelligenz
Results (2): life history facts
ith these results, it was possible to conclude (in difficult cases, the sonogram should always be consulted, too), that in the nature protection area in Hamburg / Stormarn in the season 1998.
- 7 pairs (including a new one) were present, 6 of them territorial (and breeding: M1F1, through M6F6), 1 non-territorial: M7F7
- without any doubt, 3 pairs were territorial in an inaccessible hardly observable wetland and breeding in close vicinity at corners of a triangle with sides 75, 150 and 200 m long (however, this year with no success), where doubts had been expressed the year before as visual observations had indicated a third pair, which was not accepted as fact by many other observers (M1F1, M4F4 and the third pair M6F6)
- also, where doubts had been expressed the year before in an even less observable area, as to whether the observation of a new pair in close vicinity of another older one was correct, the presence of 2 distinct pairs could be confirmed, and they were breeding in close vicinity (less than 100 m apart) (pair 3 and 5)
- it was possible to prove that pair 5 was looking for a territory in the vicinity of its 1998 territory by analysis of a video tape taken by another observer (where he was lucky to get a unison call) in 1996
- an unpaired (adult male) crane was trying to mate the female of the not territorial pair (pair 7) and to separate this pair (however with no success until the end of the breeding season).
- out of a group comprising 4 young cranes, I was lucky to record a single unison call expressed by 2 of these 4 young cranes (later pair 10).